TO DOWNLOAD & INSTALL THE ADOBE READER 8.1 PROGRAM (THE FREE VERSION):
Note: Adobe Reader is the universally-used free program that is required to view .PDF (or Portable Document Format) files. The .PDF format is used for manuals, tax return forms, invoices and so on, because it is so widely installed and compatible with many different operating systems, such as Windows XP and the Macintosh Operating System.
1) Type http://www.adobe.com/ in the Address box of your web browser (such as Microsoft Internet Explorer or Firefox), then press the Enter key on the keyboard.
2) Click on the Get Adobe Reader button.
3) Click on the yellow Continue button.
4) Click to remove the check mark next to: ü Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition (unless you want this demo version of a fairly nice graphics program).
5) Click to remove the check mark next to: ü Free Google Toolbar (unless you want this Toolbar at the top of your web browser with a Search box and other buttons from Google).
6) Click on the yellow Download Adobe Reader button.
7) Note the file name of the setup file you are downloading: sgc10_rdr80_DLM_en_US.exe (or equivalent).
8) Click on the Save button (or equivalent).
9) Click on the Desktop button to save the Setup file to the desktop (to make it easier to find).
10) Click on Close.
11) Return to the desktop, then double-click on the sgc10_rdr80_DLM_en_US.exe file (or equivalent)
12) Click on Run.
13) Click on the Install Now button.
14) Click on Next> .
15) Click on Install.
16) Click on Finish.
17) Click on Accept.
18) Click to put a check mark next to: üDon’t show at startup on the Beyond Adobe Reader window. Click on the X button to close this window.
19) After you are certain that the Adobe Reader 8.1 program works, you can delete the sgc10.exe and AdbeRdr80_en_US.exe (or equivalent) files.
20) The Adobe Reader 8.1 program should automatically start when you double-click on any .PDF file (such as 2006TaxReturn1040.pdf).
Note: Adobe is constantly changing their procedures for downloading and installing the Adobe Reader program, so please make changes to these instructions as needed.