Note: Adobe Reader is the universally-used free program that is required to view .PDF (or Portable Document Format) files. The .PDF format is used for manuals, tax return forms, invoices and so on, because it is so widely installed and compatible with many different operating systems, such as Windows XP and the Macintosh Operating System.
1) Type http://www.adobe.com/ in the Address box of your web browser (such as Microsoft Internet Explorer or Firefox), then press the Enter key on the keyboard.
2) Click on the Get Adobe Reader button.
3) Click to remove the check mark next to: ü Free Google Toolbar (unless you want this Toolbar at the top of your web browser with a Search box and other buttons from Google).
4) Click on the yellow Download Now button.
5) Click on the extra-wide yellow button at the top of the web page that says, "This website wants to install the following add-on: 'Adobe DLM' from ....."
6) Click on Install This Add-on for All Users on This Computer on the drop-down menu.
7) Click on the Install button.
8) Wait a few minutes for the installation program to complete.
9) Click on the OK button when the installation program has finished.
10) From then on, the Adobe Reader 9 program should automatically start when you double-click on any .PDF file (such as 2008TaxReturn1040.pdf).
Note: Adobe is constantly changing their procedures for downloading and installing the Adobe Reader program, so please make changes to these instructions as needed.