TO SET UP A NEW GMAIL (GOOGLE MAIL) E-MAIL ACCOUNT:
1) Type http://www.gmail.com/ in the Address box of your web browser.
2) Click on the Create an account> > button at the lower right.
3) Type your first and last name in the boxes provided.
4) Type in your desired Login Name (the part before the “@gmail.com”), then click on the check availability! button.
5) If Google tells you that the Login Name is available, select a password and type it in twice in the two boxes. The password must be a minimum of 8 characters. If the Login Name is not available, try another one.
6) Click on the Down Arrow next to whatever is in the Security Question: box, then click on the Security Question you want, such as What was your first teacher’s name?, or click on Write my own question, then type in your own question, such as What is your mother’s maiden name?
Note: A security question is what Google will use to verify your identity if you forget your password or need technical support.
7) Type the characters you see in the picture in the box below Word Verification:. Google does this to be sure that you are a human being, and not some computer trying to set up multiple e-mail accounts to spam people. A computer cannot read the letters in the picture.
8) Click on the I accept. Create my account. button below.
9) Click on I’m ready – show me my account.
10) The rest is the same as using a regular e-mail program such as America Online, Microsoft Outlook Express, Apple Mail, Microsoft Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird and Eudora. You should see an Inbox, Sent Mail folder, Deleted Items or Trash folder, and a Compose, Reply, Forward button, etc.
You can now check your Gmail and send e-mail from any computer in the world that has access to the Internet.