TO CHANGE THE INK CARTRIDGES ON THE HP DESKJET F4280 PRINTER:
1) Grab the right-front cover of the HP Deskjet F4280 and swing it open to the right.
2) Wait for the ink cartridge holder to stop moving and come to a rest at the far right.
3) Push down slightly on the ink cartridge on the left if you are changing the black ink cartridge and on the right if you are changing the color ink cartridge, and then pull the cartridge out.
4) Take the new ink cartridge out of its box and tear open the bag.
5) Pull off the pink plastic tape that covers the ink holes on the new cartridge.
Caution: Don’t touch the copper pads and “micro-pores” (where the tiny ink droplets come out) on the ink cartridges.
6) Slide the new ink cartridge into the grooves on both sides of the cartridge holder with the label on the ink cartridge facing up and the copper pads forward. (Be sure to push the ink cartridge in far enough.)
7) Push the ink cartridge in and up slightly until you hear a “snap.”
8) Close the cover on the HP Deskjet F4280.
9) If the HP Deskjet F4280 begins printing out an alignment page, wait until it finishes, then take the alignment page out of the paper tray and open the top cover. Insert the alignment page face-down in the lower right-hand corner of the scanning glass.
10) Press the Scan button. The Scan button is the backmost button on the top left.
11) Wait a few moments for the HP Deskjet F4280 to scan the alignment page and make tiny adjustments in the positions of the ink cartridges so that you get the sharpest possible printouts.
12) Take the alignment page out of the scanning glass and recycle it after the aligning process is finished.
The HP Deskjet F4280 takes the following ink cartridges:
# 60 = Black (goes in the left side of the cartridge holder)
# 60 = Tri-Color (it has a pink plastic case and goes in the right side of the cartridge holder)
Tip: You can also purchase the # 60XL black and tri-color ink cartridges, which contain more ink and cost more, but save you money in the long run because you can print more copies with them.