BASIC iTUNES-iPOD INSTRUCTIONS
Note: Apple constantly changes their procedures for the iTunes program and the iPod, so please make changes to these instructions as needed.
TO PLAY THE MUSIC ON THE IPOD ON YOUR PC:
1) Insert the iPod into its cradle.
2) Double-click on the iTunes icon on the “desktop.”
3) Click on the iPod icon on the left.
4) Double-click on the song you want to hear on the right.
TO ADD A SONG TO THE iPOD:
1) If your iPod is set to automatically download new songs, then all you need to do is insert the iPod into the cradle. If it is not set to automatically download, then do the following:
1) Click on the Library icon on the left.
2) Click & drag the new song file on the right to the iPod icon on the left.
TO ADD SONGS IN OTHER FOLDERS ON YOUR PC TO THE iTUNE LIBRARY:
1) Click on File, then on Add File to Library or Add Folder to Library.
2) Go to the folder that has the song file. In most cases, your song files will be in the My Music folder. Click on the Down Arrow next to whatever is in the Look in: box, then click on My Documents, then on My Music.
3) Click on the song file or folder.
4) Click on the Open button.
5) Click & drag the song file from the right-hand window to the iPod icon on the left if you want to copy that song to your iPod.
TO EJECT THE IPOD:
1) Click on the Eject button (it looks like this: ) in the lower right-hand corner of the iTunes window.
2) Wait a few moments until the display on the iPod changes from showing “Do not disconnect” to “Playlist, Browse, Extras, Settings, and Backlight.”
3) Remove the iPod from the cradle.
TO RENAME A SONG:
1) Double-click on the song title with a pause in between the clicks.
2) Type in the new title.
3) Click elsewhere, or press the Enter key on the keyboard.
TO DELETE A SONG:
1) Click once on the song.
2) Press the Delete key.
3) If the above doesn’t work, right-click on the song file, then click on Clear, then on Yes.
TO DOWNLOAD A NEW SONG (FROM THE APPLE ITUNES STORE:
1) Click on the Music Store icon on the left.
2) Click on the Up-Down Arrow button next to Choose Genre, then click on the genre you want, such as Blues, Classical, Jazz, Pop, Rock, or whatever.
3) Wait a few moments for the screen to change to show songs in that genre.
4) Click on the Left or Right Arrow buttons to see more songs in that row.
5) Click on the Buy Song button under any song that you want to download and purchase.
6) Click on Buy at the prompt, “Are you sure you want to buy and download the song, ‘[Song title]’?”
7) Wait a few seconds for the song to be downloaded to your Purchased Music folder (actually, it will be in the Library folder, too). Click on the Purchased Music folder icon on the left. You will see the song on the right.
8) To move the new song to the iPod, click & drag the song file to the iPod icon on the left.
TO SEARCH FOR A SONG OR ARTIST:
1) Click in the Search box next to the Magnifying Glass in the upper right-hand corner of the iTunes window.
2) Type in the name of the song or the artist (such as Stan Kenton), then press the Enter key on the keyboard.
3) Wait a few moments for the songs to be displayed below in the main window.
TO LISTEN TO RADIO STATIONS USING iTUNES:
Note: This is called “streaming audio,” because it is continuous and lasts for a very long time (as long as the radio station chooses to be “on the air”).
1) Click on the Radio icon on the left.
2) Click on the genre you want on the right, such as Classic Rock, Classical, Country, Jazz, Pop, etc.
3) Click on the radio station you want to listen to. [There is no charge for this service.]
TO USE THE iPOD AS A EXTERNAL HARD DISK:
1) When you connect the iPod to the cradle, you will see a new drive appear in the My Computer window (for example, an F: Drive).
2) You can click & drag any files or folders to the F: Drive as if it were the same as any other floppy or hard drive.
3) To delete files on the iPod, double-click on the F: Drive icon, then find the file or folder you want to delete. Click once on the file or folder, then press the Delete key.
TO SET UP A NEW ACCOUNT TO BUY SONGS:
1) Click on Buy Song for the song you want to purchase.
2) The computer will tell you that you need to create a new account if you have never registered with Apple before.
3) Click on the Create New Account button.
4) Wait a few moments.
5) Click on the Agree button on the legalese screen.
6) Type in your e-mail address, password, verifying question and answer (such as “What is your mother’s maiden name?), date of birth, etc.
7) Click on the Continue button.
8) Click on the Sign In button.
[9) If you have already created an account with Apple in the past (for example, to get Technical Support, or to register your Apple computer), then just type in your existing Apple ID and your Apple password.]
10) Click on the Sign In button.
11) If you’ve never used your Apple ID with the Apple iTunes Music Store before, the computer will tell you that and request additional information from you.
12) Click on the Review button.
13) Click on the Agree button.
14) Type in your Credit Card information.
15) Click on the Done button.
16) Click on the Done button.