CREATING LEFT TABS - MICROSOFT WORD 97 AND ABOVE
1) Click on the Ruler Bar with the pointer to put a small "L" on it. The text will line up under this "L" when you press the TAB key, but only for the line where the blinking cursor is -or- for the lines that you pre-selected (highlighted) before you put the "L" on the Ruler Bar.
2) If you don't manually put a Tab on the Ruler Bar, the blinking cursor should move to the right a half inch every time you press the Tab key. (These "default" or automatic Tab stops are indicated on the Ruler Bar by tiny vertical "hash marks.")
3) Note that if you manually put a Tab on the Ruler Bar, you will still have the "automatic" Tab stops every half inch to the right of the manual Tab, but those to the left will disappear.
4) You can move any Tab you put on the Ruler Bar by clicking and dragging it horizontally with the tip of the pointer.
5) You can remove any Tab you put on the Ruler Bar by clicking and dragging it down and off of the Ruler Bar with the tip of the pointer. You will then see the "default" Tab stops that disappeared when you put a manual Tab on the Ruler Bar reappear.