TO MANUALLY BACK UP YOUR FILES AND FOLDERS TO THE MAXTOR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE:
1) Right-click on any file or folder you want to copy to the Maxtor, then click on Send To, then on F: Drive or whatever drive letter your Maxtor is. The Maxtor will have an icon that looks like a silver hard drive standing vertically. We will use F: Drive in these instructions.
2) Wait a few moments for the file/folder to be copied.
The procedure is a little different for Shortcuts. These shortcuts are just icons; they are not the actual file or folder. To find the actual file or folder:
1) Right-click on the Shortcut.
2) Click on Properties.
3) Click on Find Target. This will show you the actual file or folder in its original location.
[4) Unfortunately, you cannot just right-click on the My Documents folder to copy the contents of the folder to the Maxtor (you can do this for a simple data file, but not the My Documents folder). You must do the following for the My Documents folder:
1) Double-click on the My Documents folder to open it.
2) Click once on any one file.
3) Click on Edit, then on Select All (or press Ctrl-A).
4) Right-click on any one file that is highlighted, then click on Send To, then on F: Drive. The rest of the files will be copied, too.
5) Wait a few moments for the files to be copied. You can then click once anywhere to get rid of the highlighting on all the files.]