TO PURCHASE NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2009 ONLINE:
1) Type http://www.symantec.com/ in the Address box of your web browser, then press the Enter key on the keyboard.
2) Click on Shop Norton on the Symantec home page.
3) Click on Buy Download under Norton Internet Security 2009. (The price is $69.99 for a 1-year subscription.)
4) At the ď2-Year ProtectionĒ page, click on No Thanks, proceed to checkout unless you want to buy a 2-year subscription for $114.99.
5) Click on the tiny Trash can icon at the far left to remove the Extended Download Service. (This service allows you to re-download the setup file for NIS 2009 in the future, but you can do this without paying this fee.)
6) Type your name, physical address, e-mail address, etc. and pick a password to use on your Norton account. This makes it easier to renew your subscription next year. Type your other personal data in the appropriate boxes, including your credit card number.
7) Click to accept the Ł End User License Agreement.
8) Click on the Complete Your Order button.
9) Click on the Download button.
10) If there is a yellow, extra-wide security warning bar at the top of your web browser, click on Install ActiveX Controls or Download FileÖ
11) Write down or print out the Product Key, which consists of a 25-character passcode that looks like this:
(You may need this number to reinstall the Norton Internet Security 2009 program or to get Technical Support in the future.)
12) Click on the Start Download button.
13) Click on the Run button to run the setup.exe file. This will begin the downloading of the main (larger) setup file.
14) Click on the Agree & Install button. Click to remove the check mark next to: Ł I want to join and let my PC automatically forward security information to Symantec, if you donít want to do this.
15) Type your e-mail address in the E-mail Address box, then click on the Next button.
16) Type the password you used last year (or the previous year) when you registered on the Norton web site. If you donít remember your password, click on the Forgot your password? link, then type your e-mail address. Your password will be e-mailed to you within a few minutes.
Note: If you donít have a Norton account, be sure to register and type in your personal information. Then select a password for your account.
17) After the installation process has finished, double-click on the Norton Internet Security 2009 icon on the desktop.
18) Click on Run LiveUpdate to update the list of new viruses, spyware, and so on.
19) Click on OK.
20) Close Norton Internet Security 2009 when the LiveUpdate program finishes.
TO RUN A FULL SYSTEM SCAN:
Note: The Norton Internet Security 2009 program will automatically scan for viruses and spyware in the background when your computer is idle, so you donít need to run Full System Scans, unless you notice certain signs or symptoms that your computer has become infected with a virus or some spyware. The Norton program will not scan program files (such as Microsoft Word or America Online program files), which should make scanning much faster. To see which programs are excluded from scans, click on the Norton Insight button on the main screen. Allow the Norton Insight program time to scan your computer for all programs that are excluded from Full System Scans.
1) Double-click on the Norton Internet Security icon on the desktop.
2) Click on Scan Now under Computer.
3) Click on Run Full System Scan.
4) Wait a few minutes for the computer to scan your computer for viruses and spyware.
5) The Norton Internet Security program will get rid of most viruses and spyware automatically. If it cannot get rid of a virus or spyware, click on the Attention Required tab, then click on the Down Arrow next to whatever is in the Action box, and then click on Fix.