NORTON 360 INSTRUCTIONS
Note: If you don't have Norton 360, you can purchase it online here.
1) Double-click on the Norton 360 icon on the desktop (or click on Start, then on All Programs, then on Norton 360, then on Norton 360).
2) Click on Scans at the top of the window.
3) Click on ¤ Quick Check (Recommended) [for a quick & dirty check for viruses]
¡ Comprehensive Check [for a complete virus and spyware scan of your hard drive]
¡ Let Me Choose. [for a custom scan].
Note: The Comprehensive Check will take much longer than the Quick Check, so you should probably only run the Comprehensive Check once a week or once a month. (Or you can set up the Norton 360 program to automatically run the Quick Check and/or the Comprehensive Check once a week or once a month. See our instructions below.)
4) Click on the Go button.
5) The Norton 360 program will first check for updates to the Norton 360 program using the LiveUpdate program. This should only take a few minutes.
Note: This updating is important, because there are something like 10 new viruses every day. Your computer must be connected to the Internet in order for the LiveUpdate program to run.
6) The Norton 360 program will then run a virus and spyware check, then delete the Temporary Internet Files (locally-stored copies of the websites you have been viewing), the Temporary files (leftover files when you install a new program) and your History List (the list of websites you have recently visited), if you clicked on Comprehensive Check in step # 3 above.
7) The Norton 360 program will also back up your important data to a CD or DVD disk. Your computer must have a CD or DVD burner for this step, although you can configure the Norton 360 program to automatically back up your important files to the hard drive, another hard drive, a flash drive, etc. (see below).
8) When the Norton 360 program has finished, check the Results page. Check the “Viruses and Spyware Scan” results in particular. It should say, “No viruses or spyware detected….” Or “Viruses detected and removed” [or words to that effect].
Note: For more information, click on More info…, then click on Files Removed by Virus and Spyware Scan at the bottom of the window. Click on the Viruses & Spyware tab to see what files were removed. If it says, “Tracking Cookies,” you can ignore these files because they are not serious viruses or spyware. Tracking cookies are small text files that many web sites put on your hard drive in order to track which web pages and ads you look at.
9) Click on Close.
10) Click on Close.
TO SET THE NORTON 360 PROGRAM TO AUTOMATICALLY SCAN FOR VIRUSES AND SPYWARE ONCE A MONTH:
1) Click on Tasks & Settings on the main Norton 360 window.
2) Click on Change Advanced Settings at the far right.
3) Click on Task Scheduling Settings.
4) Under PC Security & PC Tuneup Schedule, click on the Down Arrow next to: Automatic (Recommended), and then click on Monthly.*
5) Click on the Down Arrow next to 6:00 PM (or whatever Start Time: is selected), then click on the time you want.
6) Click on the Down Arrow next to whatever is in the Day of the Month: box,* then click on the day of the month you want, such as 1.
Note: Be sure you remember or write down the day and time of the automatic scan. Your computer must be ON at that time. If it is not left ON, the Norton 360 program will just skip that month. Write the day and time of the automatic scan on a small Avery file folder label and stick it on your monitor if you are afraid you might forget.
7) Click on Close.
* you could click on Weekly here instead, then select the day of the week you want, such as Sunday.
TO CHANGE THE DAY & TIME OF THE BACKUP OR THE LOCATION OF THE BACKUP:
1) Click on Details under Backup and Restore on the main Norton 360 window.
2) Under Things You Can Do, click on Change Backup Settings.
3) Under 1. Files to Back Up, select the file types you want to back up, such as üPictures, üDocuments, ü Emails, üVideos, etc.
Note: If you want to add a file or a folder, click on the Add a File or Add a Folder button, then click on the file or folder you want to add to the backup list. Click on OK.
4) Under 2. Backup Location, click on the Change button, then select the Drive you want, such as another CD-RW or DVD-RW Drive, an External Hard Drive (such as a LaCie, Maxtor, Seagate, or Western Digital External Hard Drive), or a Flash Drive (such as a Kingston, Lexar, Memorex, PNY, SanDisk, Sony, etc. Flash Drive). Click on OK.
5) Under 3. Backup Schedule, click on the Change button, and change the day and time of the backup in the same way you changed the day and time of the virus and spyware scan in the section above. Click on the OK button.
6) Click on the Save Settings button.
7) Click on Close.
8) Click on the red X button to close the Norton 360 window.