HP OFFICEJET INSTRUCTIONS - Windows 98/ME/XP
TO FAX A DOCUMENT:
1) Insert the document into the Fax Machine face down and upside-down. (You can insert up to 20 pages at once into the tray or one document in the provided sleeve.)
2) Dial the fax number on the Fax Machine’s keypad.
3) Press the Start button.
[4) To cancel sending the fax, press the Stop or Cancel button.]
TO SCAN A DOCUMENT:
1) Double-click on the "HP OfficeJet Manager" icon in the Program Manager.
2) Insert the document into the tray upside-down and face down.
3) Click on Scan.
4) Click on Scan again.
5) Click on: Text – if your document is mostly text. (Click on "Scan Text for Editing (OCR)" if you wish to export this document into Microsoft Word for editing.),
Photo – if your document is a photo and you want the sharpest possible scan. (Click on "Photo will be enlarged" if you want the final result to be larger than the original.),
Graphic – if your document contains complex illustrations and graphic elements and you want these to be sharpest.
Other – then click on "Change Custom Settings" to choose the resolution (dots per inch), color or black & white, and compression (for color images).
6) Click on Start Scan.
[7) Click on Cancel if you wish to cancel the scan.]
8) You should see the image in the Image Viewer after about a minute or so.
9) To crop the image, click and drag over the image area you want to keep, then click on Edit, then on Crop.
10) To save the image, click on File, then on Save. Type in a name for the file –or– accept the automatic file name ("scan1", "scan2", "scan3" and so on). The image will automatically be saved in the C:\Program Files\HP OfficeJet Series [Your model #]\Images folder unless you change this. Select the file format to save the image, such as "jpg" for photo-like images, and "gif" for logo-like images.
TO INSERT THE SCANNED IMAGE INTO A WORD DOCUMENT:
1) Click on Edit, then on Select All. (Or click and drag over the part of the image that you want to copy over to the Word document.)
2) Click on Edit, then on Copy.
3) Open the Word document in which you wish to place the scanned image, then click on Edit, then on Paste.
4) You can re-size the image by clicking once in the middle of the image,
then click and drag the "handle" (the small black square) at the lower-right hand
corner of the frame of the picture up and to the left. (You may have to scroll
down to see the handle.) Release the mouse button when the picture is the right
1) Insert the original face-down and upside-down in the tray.
[2) To change the resolution (dots per inch), press the Contrast/Resolution button.
i) Press 1 to select Resolution.
ii) Press 1, 2, or 3 for Standard, Fine, or 300 dots per inch (the highest resolution) respectively.
iii) Press 4 for Photo-quality resolution - this is best for black & white photos (use the sleeve, if necessary, to protect the original) and for more complex graphics.
3) Press the Contrast/Resolution button again to change the contrast.
i) Press 2 to select Contrast.
ii) Press 1, 2, or 3 for Normal, Lighten, or Darken respectively.]
4) Press the [Black] Copy button. (Press [Color] Copy if you want to make a color copy and your Officejet can copy in color.) Enter the number of copies you want by pressing one of the number keys on the keypad.
5) Press the [Black] Copy button again. (Press [Color] Copy if
you want to make a color copy and your Officejet can copy in color.)
TO FAX FROM THE OFFICEJET MANAGER PROGRAM ON THE COMPUTER:
1) Double-click on the OfficeJet Manager icon.
2) Click on Fax.
3) Enter a fax number and name into the appropriate boxes –or– click on the recipient’s name in the Phone Book below. (See the instructions below on adding a name to the Phone Book.)
4) Click into the white box next to þPC-Generated Cover Page to put a checkmark into it, then on the Edit [Contents] button if you wish to create a short cover page note. Type the text in the box provided.
5) Click on OK.
6) If you would like to fax some pages that are in the document tray along with the cover page, click into the box next to "Paper Fax" or "Send Pages in Document Tray" to put a checkmark into it, [then type the number of pages in the tray in the box next to "Tray Page Count"].
[7) If you would like to just fax the pages that are in the tray without a cover page, be sure that the white box next to "Paper Fax" or "PC-Generated Cover Page" doesn’t have a checkmark in it.]
8) Click on Send Fax Now.
TO ADD A NEW NAME & FAX NUMBER TO YOUR PHONE LIST:
1) Type in the First Name, Last Name, Fax Number, Voice Number, and Company (if any) of the new name.
2) Click on the Add to Phone Book button.
3) To use your phone book, click on a name. The name and other associated data should appear in the "Fax To:" boxes above.