MORE WINDOWS MAIL INSTRUCTIONS
Note: Windows Mail comes free with Windows Vista and replaces the old Outlook Express e-mail program. (For a more sophisticated e-mail and contact management program, use the Microsoft Outlook program that comes with the Microsoft Office Suite of programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.). The Microsoft Outlook program and the Microsoft Office Suite of programs are not free.)
TO CREATE A NEW FOLDER:
1) Open the Windows Mail program.
2) Click on File, then on New, then on Folder.
3) Click once on the Local Folder icon. This will put the folder on the same level as the Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items, etc. folders (but at the bottom of the Folder List).
4) Type the name of the new folder, such as E-mail from Friends, in the Folder name: box.
5) Click on OK.
TO DELETE A FOLDER:
1) To delete a folder, right-click on it, then click on Delete. Then click on Yes.
TO ADD A NEW CONTACT:
Note: The Windows Mail program uses “vCards” or Virtual Business Cards. These vCards are small files that have all of the contact info for your friends, relations and business associates. They can be easily imported into many different e-mail programs and can be attached and sent to other people, who can then add them to their e-mail address books.
1) Click on the Contacts button at the top of the Windows Mail window. (This is the fourth button from the right and has a picture of a File-o-Fax or Day-Timer on it.) You should see the Contacts folder come up on the screen. (You can also bring up the Contacts folder by clicking on Tools, then on Windows Contacts.)
2) Click on File, then on New, then on Contacts.
[3) Click on the Name and E-mail tab, if you don’t already see boxes for First Name, Last Name, E-mail Address, etc. on the screen.]
4) Type the First Name, Last Name, and any other information into the appropriate boxes.
5) Type the E-mail Address into the appropriate box, then click on the Add button.
Note: You can type in other e-mail addresses for that contact, then click on the preferred e-mail address, then click on the Set Preferred button to specify that e-mail address as the main or preferred one.
6) Click on OK.
TO DELETE A VCARD:
1) Right-click on the vCard, then click on Delete.
2) Click on Yes.