LINKSYS WIRELESS ROUTER NETWORK SETTINGS
< Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router>
1) Open your Internet Explorer program or any other web browser.
2) In the Address Box at the top of the browser window, type http://192.168.1.1 and then click on Go, or press the Enter key on the keyboard. A window should appear in the center of the screen asking for your User Name and Password.
3) Leave the User Name box blank. Type admin in the Password box, then click on OK, or press the Enter key on the keyboard.
4) The Linksys Wireless Router Setup page should appear.
5) Click on the Wireless tab.
6) Because some of your neighbors may also have Linksys Wireless Routers and not know how to change the SSID (the SSID is the name of your wireless network.), change your SSID from the default name, which is linksys, to something unique, such as johnsnet or myhomenet.
7) Change the Wireless Channel to Channel 1 – 2.412 GHz. (The second part of the channel is the frequency: 2.412 Gigahertz.) You can also use 11 – 2.462 GHz. Most people use Channel 6 because this is the default Channel, so you don’t want to select Channel 6; use Channel 1 or 11 instead.
8) Click on Save Settings.
9) Click on Continue.
10) Click on Wireless Security.
11) Under Security Mode, click on the Down Arrow and then select WPA-Personal, unless you have an older wireless network card in your laptop which can't use WPA, in which case, click on this for instructions on setting the Security Mode to WEP.
12) Under Encryption: or WPA Algorithms:, set this to TKIP.
13) Under WPA Shared Key, type in your desired password, which should be at least 8 characters long, but not contain any spaces or weird characters, such as $ % ^ & * #.
14) Click on the Save Settings button to save the settings.
15) Click on the Continue button.
16) Try accessing your favorite web site using the Internet Explorer, Safari, or the Firefox program, or check your e-mail with your e-mail program, such as the Outlook Express, Windows Mail or Apple Mail program.